Are These Crazy Characters Keeping You From Getting Dates?
For some, dating may seem utterly impossible for the simple reason that they never get asked out. Does this sound familiar? It could be that you’re forgetting something important, like, say, brushing your teeth twice a day or showing off that big, beautiful smile, or it could be more than that. It could be that potential dates are perceiving you as one of those people who nobody wants to ask out. Dating is hard work, we know, but make sure you haven’t turned into any of these crazy characters nobody wants to date.
Quick Tips for Evicting Those Crazy Characters
Smell You Later, Bad Breath Bob
Really, unless you’re a 10-year-old boy, your mom shouldn’t have to tell you to take a shower, but just in case hygiene is a personal struggle, here’s a checklist of things to do on a daily basis in order to practice proper personal hygiene:
- Brush your teeth twice per day, and floss once.
- Wash your body. Daily hair washing may be necessary for oily hair.
- Moisturize your skin if you live in a dry climate. It’ll make you smell super nice.
- Wear deodorant every day, even when it’s cold outside.
- Keep trimmed and tidy hair, including facial hair.
- Wear clean clothes, and wash your clothing regularly.
- Trim your fingernails and toenails regularly.
Peace Out, Mopey Margaret
Have you ever hung out with someone who just never has anything positive to say and instead fills conversations with complaints, pessimistic expectations, and all around mopiness? It’s exhausting. If you’re not being approached by potential dates, it could be because you’re not smiling, you’re sitting by yourself, or your favorite topic choices make the average bear want to claw their eyes out. Keep the following tips in mind next time you’re hunting for a date:
- Consider the possibilities, not just the impossibilities.
- Question and correct pessimistic or negative self-talk.
- Smile - even when you don’t feel like it. This works for some reason.
- Soften negative comments or complaints with humor.
- Stop self-identifying as a pessimist.
Farewell, Frumpy Frank
The trick in ridding yourself of Frumpy Frank is to find your own personal style you feel comfortable in while still acknowledging the fact that other people are going to see you in that outfit. We’re not saying you should change the way you look just because a potential date wants you to. We’re saying the reason you may not be getting any dates could be how you present yourself. Now, not all of us are fashion gurus, so here are a few tricks for looking your best:
- Denim is in, and a good pair of jeans is always a safe bet.
- Women, invest in at least one little black dress.
- Men, invest in a slim-cut, off-black suit jacket or blazer.
- Pretending something fits you does not make it so.
- Dress as if you’re expecting to run into your ex.
- It’s always better to be overdressed than underdressed.
Netflix Nancy, Signing Off
This one is easy. If you are underwhelmed with the number of dates you’re asked on, ask yourself one question: Am I putting myself out there, or am I sitting at home binge watching Netflix? If you’re going to get asked out, you have to get out of the house once in awhile. Here are a few excuses to go out:
- Find something to celebrate.
- Your friends miss your face.
- You deserve a night out.
Say goodbye to these crazy characters to stop them from keeping you from getting dates, or you may even give online dating a try. If you do, be sure to check out our book on online dating etiquette.